Meet Ana: Stronger Austin Mentor and Instructor!
By Melanie Gomez, Stronger Austin Program Coordinator | firstname.lastname@example.org
Did you have someone you looked up to when you were younger? Do you still have a mentor that guides and supports you? Many people have at least one person in their life they looked up to growing up. Stronger Austin Kids instructors, like Ana Gonzalez, are not just teachers but mentors! Read more about her experience as a Stronger Austin mentor below!
What Do Stronger Austin Instructors Do?
The Stronger Austin Kids Instructors are the front-line staff of the after-school program. They deliver the mission of It’s Time Texas to elementary-aged students all over the greater Austin area. Instructors spend about three hours after each school day with the students before they go home. They teach students about the importance of eating balanced meals, staying active, and practicing healthy habits. They also serve the role of mentors and counselors to them.
Ana’s Stronger Austin Mentor Story
One of the current instructors, Ana Gonzalez, knows the importance of being there for her students. “It’s important for the kids to have a mentor because they need someone to believe in them. We are there to support them, guide them, and to listen to them.” The kids are always excited to see Ms. Ana when she arrives to their site. They say her class is their favorite. When looking back on the time she spends with her students, Ana is thankful she can be there for them whether they are asking her about healthy food choices, career choices, or looking for encouragement.
Holding the position of a Stronger Austin Kids Instructor gives staff the opportunity to be the mentor to a student who may not have had one otherwise. If you would like to know more on how to get involved in Stronger Austin programs, or become a Stronger Austin mentor yourself, head to the get involved page.
What You'll Do
- Attend Stronger Austin quarterly meetings with a 75% or greater attendance record. This can be done in person or on video conferencing software/phone in conference call.
- Assume a leadership role within the community on the CAB purpose initiatives.
- When possible, attend or contribute to Stronger Austin community events including (but not limited to) free workouts, neighborhood gatherings, expos and organization awareness gatherings.
- Actively seek feedback from the community on what programs would best serve them. - Communicate any feedback, community requests or collaborative leads to the Stronger Austin leadership team in a timely manner.
- Be willing to share personal and professional expertise with the Stronger Austin leadership team.
- Act as an advocate for Stronger Austin.
What You'll Bring
- Unquestionable character.
- An interest in the objectives and mission of Stronger Austin.
- A respected citizen within the community.
- Breadth of understanding and tolerance of viewpoints of others.
- Transparent and welcoming with all members of the community.
- A leader in the wellness and health movement in all aspects of their life.